Wednesday, July 25, 2007

PnP Perth - Thursday 19th July Report

Thanks to the handful of people who braved the weather and came down for PnP last week. What is it about Perth people and rain? People seem to see it as an acid-bath or something, to be avoided at all costs. Maybe it's cos it rains so rarely here :P

Anyways, the fact that there were only a few people meant that we got to spend more time with each of them, showing them software in more detail etc.

Thanks especially to Fenris for coming down, especially when he's so busy due to MOVING TO MELBOURNE next week. Very sad news for the Perth AV scene! People can catch that wonderful C64 glitchiness at the last Chrism + Fenris gig before Fenris moves at Minimal Exposure this Saturday at the Velvet Lounge.

I'm really hoping that he can make it back for a performance at Byte Me! Festival - especially the Vintage AV Pre-Party with Severed Heads, Casionova etc. Won't be the same without the C64ness of Chrism + Fenris!

Memories... Here's a video from a previous Chrism + Fenris set at PnP:




Yvette came along to her first PnP with a brand, spanking new MacBook Pro. She'd sensibly downloaded some trials of various Mac-based software, so Jasper could give her a run through of the basics of each (we so need internet access at PnP). I'm not sure what conclusion they came to as she didn't have all the available Mac-VJ programs trials, but I *did* spot her also having aplay with Resolume on one of our Dells. Mwhahaha! PC-envy :P



We also had a chance to show facilities-manager extraordinaire Ainsley from the Bakery how to use Resolume. He took to it very quickly (as we'd expected) although Sam Lambency wasn't about to hand over control of the V4 and give him full access to the projector, so the lads were doing a bit of a lumakey mix between them. One good thing about having no audience was that it didn't matter what got projected, which is great for when you're showing newbs what to do - it's a lot better if you can have their mix up on the projector without them being worried about people watching it. hey, you gotta look at the bright side ;)

Sam aka VJ Lambency used some more of his beautiful melted-film loops he'd made - very reminiscent of Decasia - stunningly pretty, and perfect for ambient electronica. Here's a clip he's done for 6000 Red - ah, another beautiful match made at PnP. We've very proud of PnP graduate VJ Lambency's work, great he's finally putting some of it online.



We didn't have a DJ for the night (Jim went to a Waifs gig) so I did my first laptop-DJ set with my new Indigo I/O DJ PCMCIA Card. I love that little thing - thanks to James from DXU:555 for the recommendation. I'm still looking at software - liking the look of Virtual DJ since it even supports video as well, so could be good for adding AV samples to our Resolume mix. But since my trial of that's run out and I haven't bought it yet, I ended up just using Windows Media Player. Sam reckoned I should have used Winamp, but all I intended doing was leaving on my lovingly-crafted jazz-lounge playlist, I wasn't too fussed... but then...

Some random patrons from upstairs at Luxe came down (somewhat inebriated) and insisted on us playing 'dance music'. I suggested lots of things and the girl wasn't too keen on any of them. Her requests were along the lines of Guns n Roses and Christina Aguilera, and considering that I only have the mp3s of tracks I actually OWN for my own enjoyment, it wasn't easy to do the wedding-DJ thing.


Finally, I let them have a look at my music themselves. While the older guys liked my selection, their young companion wasn't so keen. "Don't you have anything mainstream?" She asked. Since I was more interested in the VJing side of the night and didn't really care what got played, I handed over the laptop and they quickly got bored and left. She made a very pretty DJ though, pity about her taste in music!:


So, that's about it for this month. Thanks very much to Michelle at Luxe Bar for having us. Sad that Nat won't be working there any more, but we'll still get to see her in her new role as bar manager at the Bakery :)


Next PnP is tentatively scheduled for Thursday 23rd August, but check back closer to the day...

No comments: